My next step is to fully create a single StarSystem object--the data model, graphics for its view, and the controller that handles its events. I want to be able to experiment with level-of-detail changes, clicking and highlighting, audio effects, loading/saving it, switching between views of the model, and adding modifiers to its model data. The toughest part will likely be handling the graphics and views, as I've neglected that aspect of the game so far and am not sure how robust my current structure will be.(1) Data model: No changes made here so far. I will have to add in some more data eventually.
(2) Graphics: I have created a stand-in star object and can load a texture onto it.
(3) Controller: Done, though I may have to work on more star system-level events as I go forward.
(4) Level-of-detail changes: Done. I created a cameraWatcher class that monitors the camera's position and field of view and issues events to increase or lower the level of detail displayed. When you zoom in right now you see a full, spherical, rotating star, but at a certain distance it is replaced with a flat 2-D image.
(5) Clicking and highlighting: Half done. I have implemented mouse-click listeners for all game states and can detect whether or not I've clicked on the star system. I have not yet implemented highlighting the system after it has been clicked.
(6) Audio effects: Not done. Goal will be to make a click/un-click sound when star is selected, de-selected. Secondary goal is to play some music while testing.
(7) Loading/saving: Not done.
(8) Swapping views: Not done. Create interface buttons that alternate between two different views of star system when pressed.
(9) Model modifier system: Not done.
--Created a strategy view camera which is fixed looking "down" at the star map from above. It can move up/down and left/right to traverse the map, plus zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. I'll need to go back and make the zoom smooth later.
--Better integration of the inputManager into the larger game system, plus miscellaneous changes to the testing system and star system views.
Finish (5) through (9). Add the following goals:
(10) Create interface elements to display star system data on the right side of the screen.
(11) Be able to interact with these interface elements.
(12) Display star system name below star.
Looks like this will take me into mid-March.